Thursday, February 12, 2009

Take a peek..... Thousand Words Thursday

I often am asked where I do my work and how I get it done with Will at home. Here is a small peek into my work! First I don't have a studio, I wish I did. Maybe someday I will have a studio, for now I do my work on the dining room table so I can keep an eye on Will. Each letter is stamped one at a time and yes I do make mistakes. Having a "BAD" stamping day can be costly! If I don't like how a piece turns out I redo it.

Just some of my tools! I have several hammers and several different letter, design and number sets!


To get the letters to darken I actually tarnish the silver until it is black and then polish it back to a shine! Yes it is a lot of work!



A lot of elbow grease is involved in getting them all pretty! Just think about how long it takes to polish sterling silverware or a set of sterling candle sticks!



Me and my hammer are tight! I don't know what I would do without him!

I tend to do a bit of work and then a bit of play with Will and some days it can be very challenging but usually if I stop and give him one on one play time he then lets me have some time to work. What is nice is that I can stop and go often and pick right up where I left off. I check e-mails throughout the day to answer customers questions. People often ask me how I learned to make handstamped jewelry, well I spent 8 months teaching myself by trial and error. I started making it before many even knew it existed. I didn't take a class since they didn't exist. When I design something new I sketch it, try it out, sometimes scrap it, test it and then it finally gets listed. It has to be just right and if I wouldn't wear it I won't sell it. I want my work to be simple and original and pride myself in designing pieces that have meaning behind them, an example would be my "Keep Calm and Carry On" and my "I love you to the moon and back"

So now you have a small peek into my lil world. Some days it can be crazy and often I am behind on laundry but I am truly blessed to have a creative outlet and be home with my little guy!

If you would like to view more Thousand Words Thursday please visit Cheaper Than Therapy Jen


Here is a peek at something new!

22 comments:

roy/elisabeth dean said...

That is AMAZING! I need to order a necklace like that with my Grandson Sam's name on it! My daughter would love that!
You are indeed blessed to get to stay home with your son and also get to do work that you love.
♥ Lilly

Journey on! by Kelleye said...

Wow! How cool! you do great work! And no, I don't know how you do it with a little one at home! I get so frustrated, I have zero accomplishments in a days time and looky what you can do- wow I think thats great! I can see where the mess-ups would get costly! but thats great work!

Kori said...

OOO I like the hammered new piece. Awesome.

I like getting to know you better. Loved this post.

Sarah said...

Isn't it awesome to have something to so very proud of! It's so exciting when someone wants what you create!
Great pics!

Stacy Uncorked said...

LOVE this post, Kristen! Thanks for giving us a peek into how you do that - you are amazing, and your creations are phenomenal! :)

Happy ATWT! :)

MOMMY-MOMO said...

WOW! WHAT A TALENT! VERY COOL. I'D LOVE ONE TO SAY MY BOYS NAME?!?!

Sarah said...

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing. It looks fun.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing how you create your necklaces. I have always wondered how it worked especially after I bought mine, which I am wearing today ;)

GpawLP said...

That's Kristen's "Magic Hammer!!!" yes VERY high quality pieces!! and allot of caring work goes into them!! I LOVE the ones I have and am really looking forward to my "Rock Star" guitar pick!! :)

April said...

Happy ATWT! Love the jewelry!

The Mom Jen said...

So cool, thanks for the great insight on your creativity!! LOve it!

Kari @ A Giveaway Addicted Mommy said...

Wow! That is beautiful!

Faith said...

Wow, very cool! All of your stuff is very pretty!

Anonymous said...

Amazing :) Thanks for sharing and letting us into your working world :) awesome post :)

Brooks said...

too bad its called work, because you aren't supposed to enjoy work! But I bet you love what you do!
And you do it so well!

Angela @ Nine More Months said...

Thanks for sharing. I like knowing how things like that are made. The new piece is beautiful!

Dawn Parsons Smith said...

I am definitely on board for a couple of necklaces and guitar pick here very soon. I thought it would be a great way to celebrate that my husband has lived for a year past his bypass...they didn't expect him to make 6 mos! Will be in touch about my order soon!

Your work is amazing!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you shared all of that. I'm wondering what you do with the pieces that don't make the cut? Throw them out?

Proud Mommy said...

Loved the insight to your magic!!

Jenni said...

You are VERY creative and talented! I wish you lived nearby so I could come over and get a lesson!

Staci A said...

That is really amazing to see! Your pieces are all so beautiful! I'm not sure that I could ever balance working at home with my little one, but it sounds like you do it fabulously!

angie said...

Loved this post, Kristen! Looks like a lot of hard work, but the end result is amazing pieces of jewelry!